Friday, May 24, 2024

Hindu Law and Literature

Please read the selections from Hindu sacred scripture in the Novak anthology (pp. 1-39).  Please also read any one or two chapters from the Code of Manu. (Choose your chapters at random: it will help class discussion if students have read different chapters). 

Hinduism is the one polytheistic religion that thrives in the modern world.  What do you see in the readings here that shows why Hinduism is a road people might still find attractive?  What do you see here that would tend to support Huston Smith's view that all the great world religions point to the same general truths?  What do you see here that would tend to support Prothero's view that the major religions are very different?

3 comments:

  1. One thing I noticed in the Hindu readings is that Hinduism gives people different ways to understand life and faith. I think this is one reason people may still find Hinduism attractive today. It teaches people to do their duty, control their wants, and try to become better people.

    I can see Huston Smith’s view because many religions teach people to live a good life and look beyond themselves. At the same time, I can also see Prothero’s view because Hinduism has unique beliefs about many gods, karma, reincarnation, and people’s duties. To me, religions can share some basic ideas while still being very different in their beliefs and practices.
    - Jacob Geppert

    ReplyDelete
  2. "When a sage sees this great Unity and his Self has become all beings, what delusion and what sorrow can ever be near him?"

    I think the idea that everything is under this one reality and/or great unity can bring peace to peoples souls. Your life is ultimately about your individual self but it belongs to a greater and larger purpose. I would agree with Prothero because although there is some similarities to other religious faiths, the way one gets to the conclusion is very different. For example, this is very gnostic in practice and other religious faiths would disagree in this type of spiritual unity. The similarities come down to that one longs for more than what the earth offers them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One thing that makes Hinduism attractive is how much it focuses on finding meaning, understanding yourself, and living a good life. The readings show that there are different ways people can connect with the divine and find their purpose, which I think makes Hinduism feel more open to different types of people.

    I can also see Huston Smith’s argument that religions point toward similar truths. Hinduism teaches ideas about being a good person, controlling selfish desires, and finding something greater than yourself, which can also be seen in religions like Christianity and Buddhism. At the same time, I understand Prothero’s argument because Hinduism has beliefs like karma, reincarnation, dharma, and multiple gods that are very different from other religions. I think both arguments can be true. Religions can have very different beliefs and practices while still sharing some of the same basic ideas about how people should live their lives.

    ReplyDelete