Friday, May 24, 2024

The Tao or Not the Tao?

Please read the selections from Taoism in your Novak anthology (pp.145-174).  If you have time, you might also read the Zen Buddhist selections (pp. 95-102).

For some, Taoism points to the deepest of all wisdom.  To others, Taoism seems like a put-on: deep-sounding, but really meaningless.  Cite a couple of passages from the readings that support one of these views.

3 comments:

  1. After reading the Taoist teachings, I think they have some good lessons even though they can be hard to understand. One passage says that a wise person does good things without looking for credit. I like this idea because I think people should help others without expecting praise or rewards.

    Another passage says people should not always chase expensive things because it can cause problems. I think this is a good lesson because many people today are always trying to get more money or nicer things. Taoism reminds people that living a simple life can bring more peace and happiness. Even though some of the readings were confusing, I think these ideas still make sense today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One quote, "...Practice not-doing, and everything with fall into place." This seems to encompass a lot of Taoist teaching has to say. The act of not acting and letting things happen. To me, this doesn't give great insight and does come off as meaningless. This can't possibly be a prescription for all people, it leads to a false hope in that things work out without action. For example, if someone is struggling to find a job and he doesn't try searching or applying for positions then nothing will happen.

    Another quote, "Therefore the Master acts without doing anything and teaches without saying anything." To a degree, this is good advice but I still wouldn't want to limit the cognitive side to learn. I believe that is crucial for a leader and teacher, to be able to provide insight by speaking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think Taoism points more toward deep wisdom than being meaningless. One idea that stood out to me is the teaching that a person should be more like water. Water is soft and does not fight against everything, but it can still be incredibly powerful. I think this is a reminder that being strong does not always mean being aggressive or having control.

    Another idea is the Taoist emphasis on not forcing things and allowing life to happen more naturally. I think this can be especially meaningful today because we are constantly worried about what comes next or trying to control every part of our lives. Taoism reminds us that sometimes we need to accept what we cannot control and stop making life harder by fighting against everything. To me, these ideas may sound simple at first, but there is actually a lot of meaning behind them.

    ReplyDelete