Friday, May 24, 2024

An eight-fold road: Buddha and his message

Please read the story of the Buddha and the selections from Buddhist teachings in the Novak anthology (pp. 50-94).  Please note that I am more interested in the quality of your reading than the quantity.  I had much rather you read 20 pages carefully than the whole of the selection superficially.

Buddhism, like Christianity, is a missionary religion, a religion whose followers belief they have a responsibility to share their message with the rest of the world.  What do you find in the story of the Buddha or in his teachings that a Buddhist might find particularly important to share with others?

3 comments:

  1. One thing that stood out to me in the story of the Buddha was his teaching about suffering. Buddha believed that everyone suffers and that a lot of suffering comes from our wants and desires. I think this is something Buddhists would want to share because everyone can understand what it feels like to want something and still not be happy.

    I also think the Eight-Fold Path is important because it teaches people how to live a better life. It focuses on being truthful, making good choices, and understanding our thoughts and wants. To me, this message is still important today because people are always wanting more. Learning to control our wants could help people find more peace and happiness in their lives.
    -Jacob Geppert

    ReplyDelete
  2. "A monk becomes his own lamp by continually looking on his body, feelings, perceptions, moods and ideas in such a manner that he conquers the cravings and depressions of ordinary persons and is always diligent, self-possessed and collected in mind. Whoever among my monks does this, either now or when I am dead, if he is anxious to learn, will reach the summit."

    Especially for men, there is something about disciplining yourself to reach a certain goal. In Buddhism there is a specific emphasis on the self, and its capacity to "conquer" the deficiencies that person demonstrates. That is attractive to a goal oriented human. Unlike Christianity that says you can't will yourself to a higher spiritual state, in this framework you have the ability to do that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One thing from the Buddha’s teachings that I think Buddhists would find important to share is the idea that suffering is a part of life, but there are ways we can learn to deal with it. The Buddha teaches that a lot of suffering comes from our attachments, wants, and expectations. I think this is something almost anyone can relate to, even if they are not Buddhist.

    What I find interesting about Buddhism is that many of its teachings can be used in everyday life without necessarily becoming Buddhist. Ideas like being mindful, letting go of things we cannot control, and trying not to let our wants control our happiness can be helpful to anyone. I can understand why Buddhists would want to share these teachings because they are less about convincing someone what to believe and more about helping people find peace and handle the struggles that naturally come with life.

    ReplyDelete